I have been loving my chai tea recently, so much so that I felt compelled to have it in cake form. I’m not a big lover of Christmas cake or mince pies so I thought this would be a good alternative… after all chai does have cinnamon in! These Vanilla Chai Muffins are really comforting and feel like a really naught treat.
120ml whole milk
3 vanilla chai tea bags
140g caster sugar
40g unsalted butter, at room temperature
100g plain flour
20g cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/4tsp vanilla extract
For the frosting
150g icing sugar
25g unsalted butter, at room temperature
125g cream cheese, cold
ground cinnamon to sprinkle over the top
- Put the milk in a jug and add the three tea bags to soak. I left it overnight in the fridge covered with some cling film
- Preheat the oven to 170˚c (Gas 3)
- Cream the sugar and butter together then add the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and mix well.
- Strain the tea bags out of the milk then beat in the egg and vanilla extract.
- Pour half the milk into the flour mixture then beat well until smooth, slowly pour in the remaining milk and continue mixing for a couple of minutes.
- Spoon the mixture into paper cases and bake in the pre-heated over for 20-30 minutes.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Cream together the butter and icing sugar
- Add the cream cheese and beat well for five minutes. I find it easier to start if off by hand so the icing sugar doesn’t go everywhere then use a handheld electric mixer.
- Pipe or spread onto the muffins and sprinkle over as much cinnamon as desired!
Excuse my messy frosting; piping is not my specialty but they tasted good and that is the main thing!