I don’t usually make any New Years resolutions because I would never stick to them and it would always be the same things. However, this year I have found it helpful to think of some goals I would like to keep in mind throughout the year. I’m not going to drive myself mad striving to achieve them but there are some things that I would like to improve on.
- Eat better. Isn’t this always on everyone’s? After Christmas you feel like you desperately need a good detox. I’m no different and I would really love to get back to my pre-Lucas weight this year. I’ve also been looking into healthy eating and me and my husband are going to follow a vegan diet for a month then continue with a vegetarian diet. It probably won’t be 100% but I’m hoping it will encourage me to eat better, cook more and rely less on convenience foods. This is something I particularly want to do with Lucas, he can be difficult to feed and this has led to me choosing ‘easy’ food. Is there anything worse than spending ages cooking a big batch of toddler shepard’s pie, to have it refused without even a taste? He doesn’t even like cheese, egg, cream or a lot of meat so I’m hoping my making some new veggie meals will encourage him to eat more.
- Family Days. Another one that is probably on a lot of peoples lists. My husband works long hours and has work to do when he gets home and at weekends but I am determined this year to make time for just us three, even if it is going to the playground for an hour. I think you always feel better after some time out of the house and there are plenty of low budget ideas for getting out and about. This is what I’m focusing on this year and I’m keeping a list of free or low cost places for us to go when we happen to get a day to spend together.
- Read more. I’m working on a little goal for my reading this year, I haven’t quite finalised it all but I’m sure I’ll let you know when I have. Truth is I feel better if I get a little time to read so instead of putting the television on every evening I will try and read a book.
- Be a better Mum. I have seen this on a lot of peoples blogs and I know exactly how everyone feels. It’s so easy to look at the negative things you do and miss all the lovely positive stuff but still, I feel the same. I want to expect the best from Lucas, I have an awful habit of taking him out somewhere and expecting him to be grumpy or stroppy when he is usually the exact opposite! I feel so guilty that I don’t automatically expect him to be well-behaved. I need to make more time for the two of us in the house; I can be busy doing so many other things in the house that I miss playing with him. This year will be all about exploring for him as he turns two and I want to give him chance to see and discover the world around him. I learn how to be a Mum every day and I’ve still got a way to go but we have a lot of fun together and that won’t change.
- Blog! Seriously, I can be so lax about blogging. I have spells where I feel like I’m sharing too much and wonder what Lucas will think when he is older. On the other hand I really enjoy writing it and it does give me a purpose. I reading other blogs, chatting with new people and getting inspiration for other families. I need to be more strict with myself because I write down lots of ideas then come the evening when I have chance to write them up I end up doing something else. I would also love to get a DSLR camera and do a bit more photography but we’ll see how that goes as I have to save my pennies first!
So there they are, written down in black and white (which they aren’t usually). I’m not going to feel bad if I don’t achieve everything all the time but I will keep them in mind as the year goes on and maybe look back at this on the 31st December 2013. Have you set out any goals for the New Year and how determined are you about achieving them?